Naturism or Clothes-free Lifestyle
Auckland Outdoor Naturist Club is part of the New Zealand Naturist Federation (NZNF) https://www.gonatural.nz/
By definition of the International Naturist Federation, "Naturism is a way of life in harmony with nature characterised by the practice of communal nudity with the intention of encouraging self-respect, respect for others and for the environment". Naturism is the practice of going nude, especially in a mixed social setting and is a lifestyle choice. Another term for it is 'nude recreation' or some might refer to it as a 'clothes-free' lifestyle. It is a feeling of freedom and, for many, social nudity is personally liberating. Through it, we come not only to accept ourselves but others as well.
The benefits of naturism are wide and varied:
- physical health - sun exposure and Vitamin D provides relief and prevention from a large number of diseases
- mental health - researchers are discovering that vitamin D plays an important role in mental health and in depression
- self esteem - the naturist philosophy encourages acceptance of all people, no matter who they are or what they look like - how your body looks like becomes irrelevant 'you are you’, and we are basically all the same underneath
- freedom - the sense of freedom when you remove the 'entrapments of civilisation’ is fantastic
- connection with nature - the touch of plants against the skin and the feeling of grass under your feet awakens the tactile senses
- family friendly - naturism is nude recreation in a non-sexual capacity and for all ages to embrace
- comfortability - being able to swim, spa and/or sauna in the nude is much more comfortable, plus no wet bathing suits to clean/dry afterwards!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I have to bring along?
A towel/s (to sit on and to use for the pool/spa/sauna), sunblock, snacks/drinks. Our bar is open every Sat & Sun from 3 - 6pm (summer), 2 - 5pm (winter)
- What are your visiting hours?
9am - 6pm (summer). 9am - 5pm (winter)
- What can I expect for my first visit?
For your first visit, we will arrange for a committee member to show you around the club grounds and to answer any questions you might have. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- What do you have to offer?
Refer to our "Facilities" page for more details.
- Can I bring my kids along?
Off course. We are family friendly and promote nudity and body positivity in a non-sexual capacity.
AONC was established in 1949 by a group of naturist enthusiasts. The club and its grounds, clubhouse, pool etc. were built by its members and even today, AONC is fully volunteer run and rely on its members as a community.
You can read more about our club's history here AONC 74th Celebrations | News | New Zealand Naturist Federation (gonatural.co.nz)